Complete Your Profile: Fill out your profile completely to enhance your suggested ProfessioNole Mentors
Check the Platform Regularly: Ensure you are checking the platform regularly to take full advantage of the program. New ProfessioNole Mentors are added frequently.
Personalize Your Approach: When reaching out to ProfessioNole Mentors, provide a customized brief message of why you are interested in connecting with them, and share a little bit about yourself.
Maintain Professional Communication: Be appropriate and professional in your communications with your ProfessioNole Mentor. Remember that these conversations are a reflection of your professional brand. Be courteous of your ProfessioNole Mentor's time and schedules when reaching out.
Follow Up: You get what you put into this mentoring relationship. Ensure you are following up with your ProfessioNole Mentor in a timely manner.
Build your Professional Network: Don't forget to connect with your mentor on other platforms such as LinkedIn.
Build Your Professional Brand: Keep a LinkedIn account, career portfolio and other platforms up-to-date and professional. Share highlights of your work in places your professional network can view them.
Express Appreciation: Always follow up after a conversation with your ProfessioNole Mentor to express appreciation for their time and guidance. Stay in touch afterwards to continue building your professional relationship.
For additional strategies and potential topics to discuss with your ProfessioNole Mentor, please review the:
Job Shadowing and Informational Interviewing Guide.
Mentoring Do's and Dont's
- Take initiative in starting conversations and asking questions
- Accept and incorporate constructive feedback
- Display professional behavior at all times when interacting in the system and with your ProfessioNole Mentor connections
- Respect the time of your ProfessioNole Mentor by having topics ready to discuss prior to any interactions
- Keep notes in the system to track your interactions, shared goals, and meetings
- Directly ask your ProfessioNole Mentor for a job or internship
- Expect your mentor have the answer to all of your career related questions. When in doubt, visit us in the Career Center to get additional career advising
- Use inappropriate language or communicate in ways that are disrespectful, unprofessional or derogatory
- Be unresponsive to your Mentor. Remember: you get what you put into the mentoring relationship, so check the platform regularly and follow up in a timely manner